Report a Problem

Drain ValleyTo report a problem related to View Royal services such as road safety, street signage, parking, sewer and drainage, boulevard maintenance, trees, and bylaw issues, you can contact the appropriate department via phone or email or use our Online Request Form.

If you require assistance during regular office hours, please call the Engineering Department at 250-708-2258. After regular office hours, if you wish to leave a non-emergency message, please do so at the number indicated above and we will return your call during regular office hours.

For a services-related emergency after regular office hours please call 250-479-6800 to be directed to on-call staff.

Using the Online Request Form to Report a Service-Related Problem:

  1. Select "Choose a Topic" from the Selection Area
  2. From the Topic drop down list, select the topic that best identifies your problem
  3. If the topics in the list do not accurately reflect your problem, select "General Inquiries"
  4. Alternately, you can select "Choose a Department" from the Selection Area and select "Engineering" from the Department drop down list
  5. Fill out the Name, Email, Phone, and Address boxes listed
  6. Enter your comments and/or a description of the problem in detail in the Message box and specify the exact location of the area where the problem exists
  7. Click Submit
  8. Make sure you type in the Verification Answer in order to submit your comments