Streets, Sidewalks & Boulevards
The Town has annual maintenance programs in place for streets, sidewalks and boulevards. Routine maintenance covers sign, street light and traffic light repairs, sidewalk maintenance, potholes, road sweeping, ice and snow clearing and ditch maintenance. All roadside mowing is dealt with through the Town's contractor.
Ministry of Transportation
The Town is responsible for all streets and sidewalks within the municipality with the exception of:
- Trans Canada Highway
- Six Mile Road from Island Highway to Trans Canada Highway
- Admirals Road from the Island Highway/Craigflower intersection south to Hallowell Road
- Helmcken Road from Vickery Road to Watkiss Way
- Thetis-Colwood/Trans Canada Highway ramps
- Burnside Road West from Trans Canada Highway to Watkiss Way
For inquiries about these Ministry of Transportation maintained routes and interchanges, contact the Saanich Area Office at 250-952-4515.
Parking on Town streets is regulated by Streets and Traffic Regulation Bylaw No.609, 2005. Click here [PDF - 199 KB] to view the Town's Bylaw.
Street lighting is generally provided in one of two ways:
- BC Hydro street lights (typically on wood or concrete poles) which are leased by the Town, but maintained by BC Hydro;
- Town owned street lights (typically steel ornamental poles) which are maintained by the Town.
Email Engineering or call 250-479-6800 for inquiries related to street lighting.
Traffic Safety & Calming
Traffic safety and calming are considered a high priority by Council and staff is constantly seeking ways to address these very important issues. Local issues should be brought to the Town's attention by way of written communication with the Engineering Department.
Email Engineering or call 250-479-6800 for inquiries related to traffic safety and calming initiatives.
Traffic Signals & Signs
Traffic signals are timed for optimal traffic flow. The parameters are analyzed on a frequent basis to maintain the safety and integrity of the road system. Signs are inspected and cleaned annually.
Email Engineering or call 250-479-6800 for inquiries related to traffic signals and signs.
Town staff carry out periodic inspection of sidewalks and walkways to determine required maintenance or repairs.
Email Engineering or call 250-479-6800 for inquiries related to report any safety related concerns with sidewalks, walkways or trails.Go to Top