Property Tax Paid by Mortgagee

Many property owners choose to have their property taxes paid by their Mortgage Company or Financial Institution (i.e. the Mortgagee).

If a Mortgage Company or Financial Institution is remitting your taxes, you will still receive a property tax notice from the Town of View Royal. The Town mails to each Mortgagee a listing of all known properties on behalf of which this Mortgagee remits property taxes.

It is between you and your Mortgagee to ensure that property taxes are paid to the Town in full, including the portion of your property taxes that may be covered if you are eligible for the Provincial Home Owner Grant.


Note: The Mortgagee must advise the Town of View Royal that they require annual property tax information on your property. As a precaution, we recommend that if you have a new mortgage that you take a copy of your property tax notice to your Mortgage holder to ensure that they are remitting property taxes on your behalf.


Home Owner Grants

If you are eligible for a Home Owner Grant (HOG) you must advise your Mortgagee of this, identifying which grant you qualify for (the regular or additional grant). You must claim this grant each year that you are eligible; your Mortgagee cannot sign it. Home Owner Grant Application Forms are located on the front bottom portion of the tax notice mailed to you by the Town or are available at Town Hall.  You may also claim your Home Owner Grant online by using Online Services.

To avoid penalty for late payment of the grant portion of your property taxes (if eligible), you must apply for a grant on or before the tax due date (usually the first business day after July 1). If the grant is not claimed prior to the due date, you will be levied a penalty on the total outstanding property tax amount of which your unclaimed grant is a part of.

Click here for more information about the Home Owner Grant eligibility.