Board of Variance

Have you ever thought about building an addition to your home that has non-conforming setbacks? How about cutting down a protected tree which is prohibited under the Town's Tree Protection Bylaw?

If so, you may apply to the Board of Variance for a minor variance. The Board of Variance is an avenue for appeal on the interpretation and application of certain local government provisions and regulations such as:

  • a zoning bylaw regulation within the Land Use Bylaw respecting the siting, dimensions or size of a building of structure, or the siting of a manufactured home in a manufactured home park;
  • a tree protection regulation within the Tree Protection Bylaw; or
  • the prohibition against structural additions or alterations to buildings containing a non-conforming use.

In the case of severe damage (such as a fire) to a structure that was non-conforming prior to the event, the Board of Variance may also reconsider the decision of the Building Inspector in determining the percentage of the structure that was damaged.

The Board of Variance functions separately from Council and has its own authority under provincial law. The Board of Variance is not an appeal board for Council policy and cannot replace Council decisions. The Board of Variance confines its work to considering variances that, in the Board's opinion, do not:

  • result in inappropriate development of the site;
  • substantially affect the use and enjoyment of adjacent properties;
  • vary permitted uses or densities required within the Land Use Bylaw;
  • defeat the intent of the Land Use Bylaw; or
  • adversely affect the natural environment.

If you think the project you have in mind may require a variance, please contact the Development Services Department to discuss the particulars of your project.

Please review the Board of Variance Application Form to complete an application or for more information on the application process.

Click here to view the meeting schedule as well as application deadlines.