Tree Removal or Alteration Permits

The health and predominance of View Royal's urban forest is a significant part of what makes View Royal so liveable, green and sustainable. To protect and maintain View Royal's urban forest, the Town regulates which, when and how trees on private property can be removed or altered.

In many cases a permit may be required for tree removal or alteration. Permits are required for the removal or alteration of trees designated as protected, significant, or otherwise required by the Town to replace a tree approved for removal.

The following trees are protected within View Royal:

  • Garry Oak (Quercus garryana);
  • Arbutus (Arbutus menziesii);
  • Pacific Dogwood (Cornus nuttallii);
  • Pacific Yew (Taxus Brevifolia);
  • Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii);
  • Grand Fir (Abies grandis);
  • Big Leaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum);
  • Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensi);
  • Sequoia (Sequiadendron giganteum);
  • Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens);
  • Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata);
  • Any tree having a diameter greater than 30 centimetres; and
  • Any tree protected by a restrictive covenant.

For a list of significant trees within View Royal, please see Schedule A of the Tree Protection Bylaw [PDF - 109 KB]Before removing or altering a tree identified as protected, significant or designated as a replacement tree, property owners are required to submit a Tree Removal or Alteration Permit Application.

For more information or to submit a Tree Removal or Alteration Permit application: