Land Development

Property development projects in View Royal – such as building a new home, rezoning your property, or proposing a new commercial development – have different requirements and processes. Whether your project is big or small, we are committed to helping you through the development process. 

If you're applying for a Building Permit and the property does not require a Development Permit, Rezoning or other development application, skip to Building Permits.

Determine Your Application Requirements

There are various types of property development applications, and they all have unique requirements. These requirements need to be completed in a specific order. If the development project already meets the requirement, then you can skip that application and move to the next. The order is as follows:

  • Step 1 - Zoning Requirements: 
    Determining if the project fits the current zoning requirements is the first step. The zoning determines what can be done on a property; zoning requirements are outlined in the Town's Zoning Bylaw. If your development project doesn't fit the zoning requirements, it will require a Rezoning Application

  • Step 2 - Official Community Plan (OCP) Requirements:
    If your development proposal requires changing the future land use designation, an Official Community Plan amendment would be required. This application asks Council for permission to amend the OCP to allow your development to proceed.

  • Step 3 - Development Permit:
    The Official Community Plan outlines a number of areas in View Royal where development permits are required. These Development Permit Areas [PDF - 6 MB] govern the protection of environmentally sensitive areas, prevent development in hazardous conditions, and set out expectations regarding the form and character of a development. If your property falls into one of these areas, you will need to apply for a Development Permit.

  • Step 4 - Development Variance Permit:
    When your approved development permit needs to be changed or an element of your plan (other than density or use) doesn't meet the zoning requirements, you can apply for a Development Variance Permit

Before You Apply

The application process for a development project can be complicated. Before you apply, it's a good idea to set up a pre-application meeting with one of our Town planners to walk through the process and ensure you have everything you need. 

Set up a pre-application meeting with a Town planner by contacting the Development Services Department at 250-708-2256 or emailing