Secondary Suites

New Changes for Secondary Suite Permit Holders

In November 2023, Council amended bylaws regarding secondary suites resulting in the following changes:

  1. Owner Occupancy is no longer required in buildings with a secondary suite;
  2. A permit (and annual renewal) is no longer required for a Type 1 secondary suite permit*.
    *note: annual renewal for Type 2 Secondary Suite permits is still required.

What is a Secondary Suite?

Secondary suites support housing needs within our community for rentals, multi-generational and assisted living options and can provide homeowners assistance with ownership costs.

A secondary suite is defined by the Town’s Zoning Bylaw as:

“a secondary and subordinate dwelling unit that is entirely contained within, and is subordinate to, a detached residential building in accordance with Section 4.2 of this bylaw.” 

Where are Secondary Suites permitted in View Royal?

Secondary suites are allowed as a use in most residential zones that permit a single-family dwelling. Properties within a zone that allows secondary suites must also meet all Zoning Bylaw and BC Building Code requirements. It is important to note that some properties within a permitted zone may not be able to meet these requirements and therefore are not eligible to have a secondary suite.

To determine the zoning of your property, please refer to the Zoning Map.

For New Secondary Suites

Requirements for all secondary suites are described in the following sections of the Zoning Bylaw:

  • 4.1 - Secondary Suites
  • 4.2 - Home Occupation
  • 5.8 - Secondary Suite Parking
  • 5.10 - Parking and Loading Schedule

Secondary suites must also meet B.C. Building Code requirements to be approved and then installed through a building permit.

Apply for a Building Permit

For Existing Secondary Suites

Secondary Suites (formerly called Type 1)

Existing legal secondary suites (formerly called Type 1 secondary suites) within View Royal have already been approved through a building permit to ensure compliance with both the Zoning Bylaw and B.C. Building Code. An annual renewal fee is no longer required.

Type 2 Secondary Suites

The Secondary Suites Permit Bylaw No. 601 defines a Type 2 secondary suite permit (Type 2 permit) as a permit issued before September 1, 2007 for a secondary suite that does not comply with the B.C. Building Code. 

Owners with an existing suite with a Type 2  permit must renew their permit on an annual basis for a fee of $100.00 before March 1st.

Secondary Suite Renewal Form [PDF - 333 KB]

Type 2 permits that are not renewed by March 1st will be considered lapsed. If a Type 2 permit lapses, the homeowner will be required to apply for and undertake all works to bring the secondary suite into compliance with current B.C. Building Code. Once the building permit has been completed and the Building Inspector has issued an occupancy permit for the secondary suite, the homeowner can continue to use the suite and is no longer required to pay an annual fee. 

Should a homeowner wish to inquire about how to bring an existing Type 2 secondary suite into compliance with the current B.C. Building Code, please contact Building Services at or 250-708-2256.

New homeowner with a Type 2 secondary suite?
If you purchased a home that has a Type 2 secondary suite permit, please contact Building Services at or 250-708-2256 to update the permit holder information.

Decommissioning a Secondary Suite

If you plan to permanently remove the secondary suite from your dwelling, a Part 9 Minor Projects building permit is required.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I confirm if a suite is permitted "legal"?
Confirmation can be obtained by contacting the Building Department at  

How many secondary suites can I have?
A homeowner is permitted to have one secondary suite within the principal building. 

Can I have a secondary suite in a separate building on my property?
A secondary suite is permitted within the principle building only.

Can I rent my suite out on a short-term basis?
Secondary suites are not permitted to be used as vacation rentals and must be occupied for a period of no less than 30 days.