Streets, Sidewalks & Boulevards

Street & Sidewalk Maintenance Program

View RoyalThe Town has annual maintenance programs in place for streets and sidewalks within View Royal (excluding ones owned by Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure - see below). Routine maintenance includes street light and traffic light repairs, street sign repairs, sidewalk maintenance, pothole repairs, street sweeping, ice and snow clearing, and ditch and boulevard maintenance. 

The Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure is responsible for the following streets and sidewalks within View Royal:

  • Trans Canada Highway
  • Six Mile Road from Island Highway to Trans Canada Highway
  • Admirals Road from the Island Highway/Craigflower Road intersection south to Hallowell Road
  • Helmcken Road from Vickery Road to Watkiss Way
  • Thetis-Colwood/Trans Canada Highway ramps
  • Burnside Road West from Trans Canada Highway to Watkiss Way

For inquiries about routes and interchanges maintained by the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure, please contact the Saanich Area Office at 250-952-4515.


The boulevard is the portion of a street between the curb lines (or lateral boundary lines of a roadway) and the adjacent property line (or between curbs on median strips or islands). 

Note that the boulevard does not include any of the following: curbs, ditches, driveway crossings, shoulders, or sidewalks.

Under section 9 of the Streets Bylaw [PDF - 652 KB], an owner of a parcel adjacent to a boulevard must maintain the adjacent boulevard to the standards further outlined in section 9.

Boulevard Improvement or Modification Permit Application

Owners of parcels adjacent to a boulevard may submit a Boulevard Improvement or Modification Permit Application [PDF - 350 KB] to request permission to modify or add improvements to the boulevard fronting their property. 


Parking on Town streets is regulated by the Streets Bylaw [PDF - 652 KB]

Street Lighting

Street lighting is generally provided in one of two ways:

  1. BC Hydro street lights (typically on wood or concrete poles) which are leased by the Town, but maintained by BC Hydro;
  2. Town owned street lights (typically steel ornamental poles) which are maintained by the Town.

Contact the Engineering & Parks Department for inquiries related to street lighting.

Traffic Safety & Calming

Traffic safety and calming are considered a high priority by Council; Town staff are constantly seeking ways to address these very important issues. Local safety issues can be brought to the Town's attention by contacting the Engineering & Parks Department. Visit the Traffic Calming Page for more information on traffic calming, or to make a request for Traffic Calming measures.

Traffic Signals & Signs

Traffic signals are timed for optimal traffic flow. The parameters are analyzed on a frequent basis to maintain the safety and integrity of the road system. Signs are inspected and cleaned annually.

Contact the Engineering & Parks Department for inquiries related to traffic signals and signs.


Town staff carry out periodic inspection of sidewalks and walkways to determine required maintenance or repairs.

Contact the Engineering & Parks Department for inquiries related to report any safety related concerns with sidewalks, walkways or trails.